Written By Kali Pappas, Nutritionist and Blogger at Holistic Chick
Eczema is an ongoing struggle that can hit hard, especially during those cold and dry winter months. With so many people suffering from this annoying condition seriously begs the question: What is it? And are there actually effective ways to find long-lasting relief?
Eczema is a blanket term used to describe different skin rashes. That's right, there are many types of eczema out there, but for today's sake we will focus on the basics! This common condition is marked by dry, red and itchy patches of inflamed skin. Although the cause of isn’t fully known or understood yet, it is believed to be an abnormal response to irritants triggered by an overactive immune system. Something lesser known is that your skin barrier weakens during the winter months. Which causes water (hydration) to escape, allowing potential irritants to easily invade your skin, hence why eczema hits harder this season!
Common irritants include:
- Food allergies
- Stress and anxiety
- Hot or cold temperatures
- Environmental pollutants
- Fabrics like wool and polyester
- Conventional soaps, cleansers, detergents and cleaning products
3 key signs of eczema
- Clusters of small raised bumps
- Dry, itchy patches of flaky skin
- Rashes and redness
Are there effective treatments out there that can actually help improve the skin?
Yes, there really is! *finally a sigh of relief* and now that you can spot it, it’s time for the exciting part.. Finding relief!
Let's start with 4 easy tips to soothe your skin at home:
- Take an oatmeal bath: add 1 cup of oats to lukewarm running water & mix.
- Moisturize twice a day, minimum! Use products that contain zinc, oatmeal or calendula.
- Put your moisturizer in the fridge: this cooling tip constricts blood vessels and tricks your skin from feeling itchy.
- Use a humidifier at home. This will add moisture back into your home and help combat dry skin.
And now it's time to shop! Thanks to my long battle with eczema, I’ve been able to experiment with many products and supplements over the years. And my trial and error process has finally paid off! Here is my round up of the most effective and affordable products to help you find some much needed relief -- voila!
• • •
Treat + relieve your skin
One of my fav brands for eczema relief: Skinfix is formulated without the use of harsh ingredients -- go natural or go home, am I right?! Plus their products are so helpful because they're formulated by unbiased Dermatologists, and clinically proven containing powerful ingredients like colloidal oatmeal to soothe redness and itching!
• • •
Heal from the inside + out
- Reduce common irritants like stress, food allergies and conventional detergents
- Soothe your skin by taking an oatmeal bath, moisturizing daily, refrigerating your moisturizer, and using a humidifier
- Try unbiased Dermatologist formulated products like Skinfix that contain colloidal oatmeal, for real results that last
- Take a supplement to heal from the inside out such as: fish oil, probiotics, and burdock