By Kali Pappas, Nutritionist and Blogger at Holistic Chick
What is cold brew coffee?
This not-so ordinary cup of joe is created by a process in which roughly ground coffee is brewed at room or cold temperature for 12 hours or longer. The cold process produces less acidic, bitter coffee — resulting in a smoother, bolder flavour.
If you are someone who is looking for a healthier coffee alternative, cold brew might be right for you. Find out why and how to make your own!
Why is cold brew better than drinking conventional coffee?
- The brewing process results in less astringent coffee which is easier on the stomach and is lower in acidity
- A slow and prolonged caffeine release (great for people who are sensitive to caffeine)
- The cold process releases less toxic compounds and chemicals from the coffee beans in comparison
- Produces a less bitter taste resulting in a richer and more flavourful cup of coffee
- Holds higher nutritional and anti-inflammatory properties
“According to a study done by chemical engineer and cold brew expert Todd “Toddy” Simpson: cold brew coffee yields “67% less acid than hot brewed coffee, it’s easier on sensitive stomachs. Reduced acid makes it healthier for your stomach and your teeth.”
What’s the best type of coffee to use for cold brew?
Choosing a dark roast coffee is the most ideal blend for making a successful batch of cold brew! It will create a bold and rich flavour, it’s also important to always choose organic — when possible! Organic coffee beans are significantly higher in antioxidants and other important nutrients which can help with the following:
Conventional coffee is heavily sprayed with dozens of toxic chemicals like pesticides and herbicides, that are not only harmful to our health, but to the farmers growing these crops. The reason these chemicals are used is to rapidly yield larger quantities of coffee beans — meaning: make money faster, not ethically!
By choosing organic coffee you will expose your body to less chemicals, while helping to protect the planet!
In addition to the effects on your health, drinking organic also helps to protect, support and increase demand for organic, fair-trade farming.
Skip the coffee shop line-ups and save money with this delicious at home cold brew coffee recipe. It’s super easy and you only need a few things to get started!
Make your own cold brew at home!
Image by @krewellah87 on Unsplash
I N G R E D I E N T S —
- ½ cup roughly ground (organic) coffee beans
- French press
- 4 cups filtered water
- Optional flavourings: 1 tsp vanilla, almond, hazelnut extract, etc.
D I R E C T I O N S —
- Add ½ cup roughly ground coffee beans to the bottom of your french press.
- Optional: add 1 tsp your choice of flavoured extract.
- Pour 4 cups of filtered water over your roughly ground coffee beans. *Note: water may be adjusted to strengthen or weaken coffee*
- Place the lid on top of the french press, but do not press down on the filter.
- Leave french press in a safe spot on your counter and allow it to brew for a minimum of 24 hours, if you would like your coffee stronger you may brew for additional time.
- Once brewed, press the filter down, pour into a cup full of ice, and enjoy your healthy, homemade cold brew coffee!